One of the main factors to be considered before deciding to install a suspended ceiling in an area is whether it will look good once it’s finished. For instance, in a room with a low ceiling, dropping the ceiling height further might give the room a cramped feel.
Besides this, there are advantages and disadvantages to consider before taking a decision.
· It helps with sound insulation and is ideal for a party room or a media room, where one needs to keep the loud volume from disturbing the neighbours or other family members.
· Since the false ceiling creates compartmentalisation in the area, it improves the fire resistance of the room.
· It improves the aesthetics of the room by concealing wires and ducts.
· It’s cheaper to install than standard roofing material.
· One of the main disadvantages of floating ceiling installation is it tends to gather dust between the ceiling and the panel, which cannot be cleaned easily.
· Additionally, pests can infest the gap between the ceiling and the panels.
· Since the ceiling is lightweight, one should be careful when suspending items from the false ceiling as it cannot bear heavy loads as a regular ceiling can.
· Since it decreases the height of the room, it can make the area look smaller than it is.