The process of applying adhesive wallpaper is like that of regular wallpaper. Before installation, one needs to choose the type of adhesive or temporary wallpaper that is best suited for the area on which it will be applied.
Once this is decided, these steps can be followed:
1. Take measurements of the surface to get an idea of the amount of wallpaper to buy. Bear in mind that it is far easier to install on flat surfaces such as walls and floors, whereas curved surfaces such as furniture might require more of it as there can be more wastage.
2. Based on the measurements, one can purchase the wallpaper and the spatula required for its application. It’s preferable to buy self-adhesive wallpaper that comes with a warranty.
3. Next, one should prepare the surface by cleaning it to remove dust. Ensure that it is completely dry before the application begins.
4. Assess the area where the wallpaper will be applied to see if it requires trimming. For example, when using peel and stick wallpaper for bathrooms, it should be trimmed so that it fits over the taps or electrical points near the countertop basin. Before trimming, it’s advisable to mark the exact dimension at the back of the wallpaper.
5. The wallpaper is now ready to be fixed on the wall. All that needs to be done is to remove the adhesive sheet at the back as slowly as possible. By using the spatula, the paper can be stretched and applied to the wall in small movements, in one direction. Take care to be gentle so that the surface doesn’t get scratched or torn. It’s better to choose thicker wallpaper to prevent creasing as it is less likely to crinkle compared to thinner options.
6. When it’s time to install the next sheet, care should be taken to ensure that the pattern is not distorted. It might require overlapping the second sheet over the first to merge the print.
7. Once all the sheets are installed, the edges of the self-adhesive wallpaper can be trimmed, and the edges sealed.
The same process should be followed even if one is considering self-adhesive wall tiles or wallpaper for the kitchen backsplash.